Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Valentine’s Day and your Wedding Anniversary!  Just kidding.  But not really.  This isn’t a relationship blog or that may be a correct assumption.  Given the nature of this website and what it is I’m doing here the two most important days each week are intervals day and the long slow run day.  For this marathon training schedule Wednesdays have been set aside for intervals.  Short bursts of speed followed by a slow recovery period.  In addition to the 400’s I’ve run each of the first two weeks of training, today called for the addition of Yasso 800’s, made famous by Runner’s World’s Bart Yasso who will be running with us at the Marine Corps Marathon.  After 3-400’s I had to run 3-800’s and then finish with another 400.  Today I ran much smarter than I have the first two weeks by saving some energy and not going full out right from the start.  In addition I was helped by the fact that I had much more bearable temperatures and no sunshine.  I had to meet some co-workers at 7:00 a.m. for a work meeting in Historic Annapolis, MD at Anne Arundel Community College, which is actually in Arnold, MD but close enough.  Knowing that I had to leave a little over an hour for my 7-8 mile run I had to decide whether I wanted to get up an hour earlier or run after work.  As I stated in Morning, Noon and Night a few days ago, I am much better off running in the morning.  So I made sure to turn in a little earlier last night and set my alarm for 4:45 a.m. today.

As I stepped out the door to get started, I noticed that our lawn sprinklers were on in my yard and there was just a hint of daylight popping up over the horizon.

7.22 StartAs I approached my 1-mile mark and the turnaround for my 2-mile warm-up I was surprised to see that the Royal Farms was taped off with no less than six police vehicles surrounding it.  As of the writing of this post, I still am not sure what happened but I’d have to surmise that it was robbed.

Royal Farms ProblemsFrom there I made my way onto the track for the interval portion of my run where I was able to snap a few additional photos of what turned out to be an incredible morning for running.

image4  image5

It is a morning like today that reminds me why I love this sport so much, and why I love the mornings.  It was so peaceful even though I had to push myself during the interval portion of the run. As I’ve already mentioned, my experience kicked in and I held back ever so slightly to keep my splits as even as possible.  I am happy to report that my last 400 time was faster than any of the first three.  Interval day is critical to building up the speed factor and engaging the fast twitch muscles that will be called upon on race day and today was, as Cube said, a good day (as far as the running is concerned).  I can only hope that the second most important day of the week, this Sunday, is equally as good.

Run on…